Saturday, January 23, 2010

I cannot see the Christ-Child

I cannot see the Christ-Child for the soldiers

marching past:

I cannot hear the angels for the bugle's angry blast.

But I know the Bells are ringing

And that Faith and Hope are clinging.

To the Day when Love shall crown the world at last.



I cannot see the Christ-Child, for the smoke is in my eyes,

I cannot hear the Shepherds for the little children's cries:

But I know the Bells are ringing

And I think I hear the singing

Of the Day when Peace like Morning Dawn shall rise.



I cannot see the Christ-Child, for the clouds hang

dark and low

I cannot hear the Wise Men, for the conflict rages so:

But I know the Bells are ringing,

And that Christmas Mom is bringing

In the Golden Day, Foretold so long ago.





Hugh T Kerr

No comments:

Post a Comment