Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Civil War Soldier

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve...

I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.



I asked for health, that I might do great things...

I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.


I asked for riches, that I might be happy...

I was given poverty, that I might be wise.


I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men...

I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of

God.


I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life...

I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.


I got nothing that I asked for...

But everything that I hoped for.


Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were

answered...


I am among all men most richly blessed. Amen.



Found in the clothing of an unknown dead Civil War soldier



No comments:

Post a Comment